Blog

News and musings from riverorchid.

Apr

Riding Indochina

Posted by brownie in Blog, Vietnam with 6 Comments

brownie_ride1

For the past three years Brownie, the ECD of riverorchid Vietnam, has been cycling into the South Vietnamese rice fields with a dedicated group of mountain bikers. Every Sunday at 6am they begin their +50km adventures where they experience rural Vietnam in all its wonder. Lead by Rod Skeggs, owner of Saigon Cyles, they chat to the locals, catch derelict wooden ferries, try authentic rural noodles and sometimes bump into monkeys and snakes along the way.

If you’re feeling adventurous, Brownie can organise a bike and gear for you. It’s Loving Indochina in its truest sense. Not to be missed.

6 Responses to “Riding Indochina”

1. April 23, 2013 at 4:21 am

excellent sir!!!!
    I should bring my bike next time I visit; a weekend will do?
    suggestions on the bike – I have a hardtail with front sus and a full rigid singlespeed – which one is best to bring?
    and you look fit as a fiddle, in all your muddy glory!
    keep pedalling!

• April 23, 2013 at 4:27 am

for my part Robert I was thinking more along the lines of a rear seat on a tandem or better still a side-car…

• April 24, 2013 at 2:05 am

ahhh for you, nothing less…
        (with a small cooler, perhaps?)

• April 23, 2013 at 7:58 am

Hey fella, if you want to bring a bike all the way to VN then a rigid rear, front sus will be more than enough. Although I can sort out a good loaner for you. Saigon Cycles has purchased a whole new fleet. And I have a couple of spare bikes myself including a Trek with full floating front & rear suspension. Make sure you pack some chopsticks if you plan to ride in the next few months. It’s rainy season and the mud is like heavy, grey treacle and chopsticks are the only way to get it off the discs!

• April 24, 2013 at 2:30 am

Gill and I have just done 5 days cycling through the hills of North Vietnam from Sapa down to Dien Bien. Great route. Highly reccomended. Then 2 days at Halong bay. A cluster of thousands of tourists but still worth it.

Well done Brownie you look like you’ve lost weight. Obviously been avoiding huge nights out with Warwick.

2. April 26, 2013 at 10:06 am

Excellent, Brownie!!! I love it. I have a group of friends who like to travel around Saigon & Mekong Delta by bicycle. Really enjoy it! Next time, ROers should join them to discover to know all the ins and outs of the South :) .